A distinguished government civil officer, having served the government and nation in various positions and capacities since 1967 until his retirement in 1997.
Amongst his most notable appointments are:
- 1968 – 1969: Assistant Secretary, Public Services Commission of Malaysia
- 1972 – 1975: Chief Assistant Secretary, Immigration Department, Malaysia
- 1975 – 1976: Secretary, Malacca Municipal Council
- 1977 – 1979: Deputy Chief Director, Local Government Ministry of Malaysia
- 1979 – 1995: Secretary, Election Commission of Malaysia
- 1995 – 1997: Deputy Chief Secretary, Education Ministry of Malaysia
- 2000 – 2008: Chairman of Election Commission of Malaysia
He was also an advisor and speaker to Commonwealth Committee on election matters.
During his tenure at the Election Commission of Malaysia, he oversaw the running of 6 general elections in his initial role as Secretary and ultimately as Chairman of the Commission.
During his 42 years in service, he has served under 5 Prime Ministers.
He has also produced several books and journals on the running of elections in Malaysia, in addition to being invited as an observer for several international general elections.